Sunday, May 1, 2011

Royal Wedding

People were pretty split on if they cared or not about the royal wedding. And if they didn't care, they sure made you know it which kind of made you feel like they cared enough to complain about it. I, for one, was very fascinated by the process. It is a historical event and me and my friends treated it like any other event: a chance to make crafts, get together, and theme party our little hearts out!
On a bummer note, my grandmother died in 2006 and since I was in college, by the time I got home all the things in her house had been picked over by cousins and family so I didn't really get anything (when all I really wanted was this wooden Cardinal that reminded me of childhood summers visiting her and even making up a song saluting the glorious bird - but alas, it too was gone). 5 years later, my father offered up a couple of her costume jewelry boxes that were taking up room in his garage. As I was going through it all, I came upon this:

Perfect for a Royal Wedding theme party!

Next thing on the list was to acquire a tea set. I just bought a cheap little set at Toys R Us, peeled off the Tinkerbell stickers, and plastered on my very own set of British inspired details.

Before:

After:

With the DVR set, and a freshly toasted foccasia purchased from the Farmer's Market earlier that day. We basked in the glory that was English tradition and fawned over how beautiful Kate looked and critiqued how poorly William has aged. haha. If only Diana were alive...

Another note: why is Queen Elizabeth's husband a Prince and not "King Philip"?
I have so much to learn. But as an American, I feel it is my duty to stay blissfully unaware of Britain's culture.

UPDATE: Found out why he is just a Prince. Turns out back in the day, you could only marry British royalty (inbreeding in the family is pretty well known). Philip was from the Greek Monarch and got permission from Elizabeth's father King George VI to marry her. Since King is a higher title than queen, and Philip is not from the British family he cannot hold a title higher than Elizabeth. Interesting...

No comments: