Thursday, May 5, 2011

Osama Bin Dead

TIME, May 20, 2011, Art Director: D.W. Pine, Illustrator: Tim O'Brien.

Overwhelming excitement was felt by all when news broke late Sunday night.
Osama Bin Laden is dead.

8 Years to the day of Mission Accomplished.
I must admit, my heart raced as Brian Williams shared the breaking news in his iconic monotone (it's hard for me to take him seriously when it comes off so sarcastic which is why I love him). All those Georgetown kids rushing the gates of the White House to celebrate - oh college.

Then monday came. And I heard things like "I cant feel good at someone else's expense" or "I cant celebrate death." Boo f*cking hoo.

If this was 1945, could you bask in the glory of this image. Because after taking the 3.5 hour tour of the Holocaust museum in DC, I cant do anything but smile at the thought of Hitler putting a pistol in his mouth as his world caves in with Russian and American tanks racing to retrieve his body first.

My point is sometimes violence is the only thing necessary to stop a violent person. As a military brat, I sure as hell CAN celebrate the death of an enemy because growing up - the opposite would mean more harm for my father and friends. So I do feel an overwhelming sense of pride to be an American today, like all days, but more so today.

So maybe you don't have to "celebrate" Osama's death, but you don't have to be a pretentious little snoot about it either. I'd Have to say the best thing to come out of this whole ordeal are the jokes. I feverishly tweeted and retweeted Sunday night anything that made me laugh out hysterically.
Gem's like:
RT @joshacagan Sources say that Obama will also announce a 50 state tour where he will, "High-five the shit out of everyone in America."
and
"A prince got married and a bad guy is dead. It's a real life Disney story."


Now to the art of it all (since this is a art blog of sorts). In tradition of the time magazine X covers as seen below with Saddam and Hitler -- It has been confirmed that TIME will move forward with the Osama X cover as posted above with artwork by Tim O'Brien.


So simple, yet powerful.
For more, you should totally read this article by Big Think. I think it reinforces my thoughts pretty effectively.

Also, I'd like to mention Andy and how he might be alive today if it were not for this S.O.B. and/or the other dicksmack pictured above, Saddam. I salute you and am forever grateful for your sacrifice.

May freedom forever fly. Let it reign.
Ashley

Now we sit and wait for zombie Osama.

No comments: