Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day: Remembering

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
Thank God for my life. For the Stars and Stripes. May Freedom forever fly. Let it Reign.
Salute the ones that died. The ones that give their lives.
So we dont have to sacrifice all the things we love.


My Family has a tradition (its about the only tradition we really take seriously or even have) on memorial day to visit graveyards and place flags on sites of those who served in the military as well as family members. We visited 6 in all, ending at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetary - which is by far the most overwhelming.

Grandpa Joe, Great grandfather to me.

Grandma Lodyce. I miss you everyday.
She drank Stag everyday, all day, until she went to bed so we always leave one for her.


And then there is Andy.

I cannot believe its been 3 years. I remember being in my cube when I still worked at JWT and getting the phone call of his passing. I remember hanging up and just feeling absolutely stunned like the air was unable to gain entry into my lungs. He was a year younger than me and yet he gave his life for our country.

What have any of us done that is even remotely of such value?
Try to think of him or the other 4,000+ soldiers killed in action in the Gulf, the next time you complain about something insignificant. Believe me, it will pale in comparison to their sacrifice. 



So, to Andy:
I think of you often...

No comments: