Wednesday, November 10, 2010

aging like a fine trashtalking s.o.b.

Today is the 235th birthday of the united states marine corps.
My father was in the service for 22 years (16 years of my life)
and retired a Master Sergeant.
We lived in 5 states
(NC 3 times, Indiana, Tennessee, Hawaii and Missouri)
7 different schools.

Marine Prayer card (with my edited text of course)

The dandelion seed is the official flower of the Marine Child.
Me and my sister were talking about getting a tattoo of it for awhile now.

I really feel that growing up a brat was the best way of life. Not only do you get to travel all over, and continually learn the art of making friends (thank god for facebook! I've reconnected with so many), but you also get to live in a world of extreme patriotism and loyalty and honor and truth...that civilians just don't understand. We've been out since 2000, and the one thing I have learned in that 10 years is that people have a serious lack of those values.

All I know is that I miss living on base with all the ache in my heart. I miss the sound of helicopters and planes doing runs over your house and school. I miss watching a group of men in matching fatigues PT on my way to school. I miss going to the commissary and the exchange. I miss going through the gate and having an MP check your plates.I miss the high and tight, the dressed blues, the dog tags. I really miss it all.

Me and my pop in '91 (my first day of school in Hawaii)

This is my Marine. My hero. My dad.
He's pretty awesome.

Happy birthday! And thank you for all that you do.

1 comment:

Lauren Hope said...

I love this. I love you! I miss it. I miss you! =) I love the dandelion seed. It's so true. Let's all get one tattooed. ;)